Metro Suspends Some Service After Blue Line aim Derails – NBC4 Washi…

Metro suspended Blue Line service between Pentagon and Foggy Bottom stations Wednesday a day after a aim slightly derailed, forcing 200 people to evacuate by a dark tunnel.

Orange and Silver line trains were also single-tracking between Clarendon and Foggy Bottom early Wednesday because of a track problem at Rosslyn. It’s unclear if that problem is related to the derailment.

News4’s Shomari Stone reports on the Metro derailment that meant a frightening and additional long commute for stranded riders.

There’s an current investigation into the derailment, which occurred Tuesday afternoon between the Arlington Cemetery and Rosslyn stations, Metro said.

Commuters can use shuttle buses to travel to the impacted stations, Metro says. Shuttle buses were seen waiting for riders early Wednesday.

Blue Line trains were running between Franconia-Springfield and Mount Vernon Square only, Metro said. Riders can switch to another line to continue their trips.

Photos: Metro aim Derails, Passengers Wait to Be Rescued

About 200 people were headed away from D.C. toward Franconia-Springfield when the aim derailed about 1,800 feet from the Arlington Cemetery stop platform, Metro officials said. That meant passengers had to walk about six football fields in a dark tunnel to the stop’s exit.

Metro got information of a disabled aim in the tunnel between the Rosslyn and Arlington Cemetery stations just before 5 p.m. A Metro worker then discovered the aim slightly derailed, according to Metro.

A Metro aim slightly derailed Tuesday afternoon between the Arlington Cemetery and Rosslyn stations, Metro said.

Arlington paramedics took one person to a hospital. Fire officials said that person was stable but didn’t provide any details about their condition or possible injuries.

No other injuries were reported.

The National Transportation Safety Board is set to coordinate with Metro officials in the investigation.

A Metro aim derailed on the blue line near the Arlington Cemetery stop just before 5 p.m. Tuesday, Metro said. News4’s Shomari Stone reports from on the scene.

Metro said the rail car that derailed was a 7000-series.

“We definitely apologize for what occurred here this afternoon with our customers. It’s a very, you know, terrifying incident and we definitely want to make sure that they’re OK,” Interim Metro Transit Police Chief Michael Anzallo said at a news conference after the derailment.

It wasn’t closest clear when normal aim service would begin again.

Stay with News4 for updates to this developing story.

Click: See details

Leave a Reply